Karnataka Gig Workers Insurance Scheme is implemented through Karnataka State Unorganized Workers Social Security Board on July 7 under the name of “Karnataka State Gig Workers Insurance Scheme”. This scheme provides coverage for both full-time and part-time workers in food and grocery delivery jobs as well as courier departments. The insurance cover of Rs. 4 Lakh includes life insurance and accidental insurance of Rs. 2 Lakh each. In this article we will discuss about the scheme in details including its Key Highlights, Objectives, Benefits & Features Eligibility Criteria, Required Documents, Application Procedure etc.
Table of Contents
Karnataka Gig Workers Insurance Scheme
Chief Minister and Finance Minister Siddaramaiah offered Rs. 4 Lakh insurance cover for gig workers, possibly a first for any state. He was presenting his 14th budget overall and the first for the current Congress administration. Siddaramaiah made a special mention of e-commerce delivery workerswhile presenting the scheme. It is considered a breakthrough for workers who put their lives at risk while delivering goods and services. Only the e-commerce delivery workers of the state will be able to get the benefit from this prestigious program.
Key Highlights of Karnataka Gig Workers Insurance Scheme
|Name of the Scheme||Karnataka Gig Workers Insurance Scheme|
|Launched By||Chief Minister Siddaramaiah|
|Launched On||7th July, 2023|
|Beneficiary||Delivery Workers of e-commerce industries|
|Accident Insurance Amount||Rs. 2 Lakh per year|
|Life Insurance Amount||Rs. 2 Lakh per year|
|Total Insurance Amount||Rs. 4 Lakh per year|
|Delegated Ministry||Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology|
|Objective||To provide insurance cover to the delivery workers|
|Benefits||Delivery workers will be able to carry their jobs without any pressure|
|Applicable to||Citizens of Karnataka|
|Delegated e-commerce Brands||Zomato, Amazon, Flipkart, Swiggy, Snapdeal etc.|
|Mode of Transfer||DBT (Direct Benefit Transfer)|
|Payment Mechanism||e-payment mechanism|
|Hosting Site||National Informatics Center (NIC)|
|Official Website||Will be updated soon|
Objectives of Karnataka Gig Workers Insurance Scheme
Some of the objectives under the scheme are as follows:
- The primary objective of the insurance scheme is to provide the insurance benefits.
- Another objective of the scheme is to provide the insurance amount of Rs. 4 Lakh per year.
Benefits & Features of Karnataka Gig Workers Insurance Scheme
Here we have provided you the benefits & features of the Gig workers insurance scheme which are as follows:
- This scheme provides coverage for both full-time and part-time workers in food and grocery delivery jobs.
- The Scheme will cover your premium for the entire year.
- One can make insurance claims of Rs. 2 Lakh for life insurance and Rs. 2 Lakh for accident insurance.
- Annual insurance claim will be a total of Rs. 4 Lakh.
- The Scheme’s biggest feature is that there are no premiums to pay in order to obtain insurance coverage.
Applicants must fulfil the following eligibility criteria to apply under the scheme:
- The scheme is only available to residents of Karnataka.
- Both full-time and part-time gig workers are eligible.
- People who are employed as delivery workers for an online retailer such as Zomato, Swiggy, Flipkart, Snapdeal, etc.
Some important documents for claiming Insurance (Accident & life Insurance) are as follows:
- Aadhar Card
- Passport Size Photograph
- Domicile Certificate
- E-Commerce Company ID
- Mobile Number
- Bank Account Details
Application Procedure for Karnataka Gig Workers Insurance Scheme
The Government of Karnataka has recently launched this scheme. The Government has not yet published the Official Website for this, however the Government will do so shortly. We will update this post as soon as there is a an update on this application procedure.